Apple-Stuffed Mushroom Caps
These are no ordinary stuffed mushrooms! Blue cheese blends well with the more milk flavors of mushrooms and apples. The recipe can be doubled if needed.
Allen Mann, Warrior, Alabama
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 18 large fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. Chop stems, reserving
- 1/3 cup (discard remaining stems or save for another use).
- In a small skillet, saute chopped mushrooms and celery in butter. In
- a small bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, apple, bread crumbs,
- walnuts, blue cheese, parsley and lemon juice.
- Place mushroom caps on a greased baking sheet; stuff with apple
- mixture. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are
- tender. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 3 mushrooms equals 71 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.