Apple-Sausage French Toast
Sandwiching sausage and apples between bread slices makes this baked French toast a bit different. "I like to serve to guests who spend the night," relates Renee Olson of Kendrick, Idaho. "It's a great way to get them going in the morning."
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 18 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Remove and set aside. Add apples to the skillet; cover and
- cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, milk, syrup and nutmeg until
- combined. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, arrange half of
- the bread. Top with the sausage, apples and remaining bread. Pour
- egg mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until eggs are set and
- bread is golden. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 564 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 165 mg cholesterol, 1,011 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.