"Children seem to be fascinated by bugs. So during a spring visit, my great-nieces and I had fun making fresh fruit salads that looked like garden insects," says Sherry Masters, Cincinnati, Ohio. Mandy Paige-Wrischnik assembled this lovely ladybug while her sister made a cute caterpillar.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 lettuce or kale leaves
- 1 medium Red Delicious apple, quartered
- 2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 5 seedless red grapes
- Place lettuce leaves on two salad plates. Arrange two apple quarters,
- peel side up, on the lettuce. Use dab of peanut butter to place
- raisins in the space between apple quarters. Place one grape at the
- stem end of apple for head. For legs, cut the remaining grapes
- lengthwise into four pieces; place three on each side of ladybugs.
- Place small dabs of peanut butter on remaining raisins; gently press
- onto apples for spots. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 110 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.