Apple-Oat Bran Muffins
"I love how light and tasty these muffins are," writes Grace Bryant of Merritt Island, Florida. "I make the batter ahead of time and it keeps very nicely in the fridge."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2/3 cup grated apple
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another
- bowl, whisk the egg white, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with
- batter. Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick
- comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a
- wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 muffin equals 128 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium,