Apple Mallow Salad
I enjoy picking fresh apples at local orchards, and using both red and green apples makes this a festive-looking salad to serve at parties and family gatherings.
16-20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 medium red apples, diced
- 2 medium green apples, diced
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup honey-roasted peanuts
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a saucepan,
- combine sugar, flour, vinegar and reserved juice until smooth. bring
- to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove
- from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return
- all to the pan; stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Fold in whipped topping. Fold in the apples, marshmallows and
- reserved pineapple. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before
- serving, fold in the peanuts. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 177 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium,