This originally started as an apple cake recipe. But I worked it into a recipe for cookies and have been making them this way ever since. It's a nice way to feature fall's delicious produce.
42 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder,
- baking soda and salt; stir half into the creamed mixture. Stir in
- the apple, walnuts if desired and remaining flour mixture.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 72 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.