Apple-Cranberry Wild Rice
Dried apples, cranberries and savory nicely complement the wild rice and leek in this delicious recipe from Marion Karlin of Waterloo, Iowa.
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1small leek (white portion only), coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apples
- 6 tablespoons chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in the
- rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is
- tender. Drain. Stir in savory; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute leek in oil for 1 minute. Stir in
- cranberries, apples and 3 tablespoons broth. Cover and simmer for
- 6-8 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, onion salt, lemon-pepper and remaining broth. Cook and stir
- for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 124 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 359 mg sodium,