Apple Cranberry Bread
Cranberries lend a burst of tart flavor and bright color to this quick bread sent in by Phyllis Schmalz of Kansas City, Kansas. Dotted with crunchy nuts, slices of the moist loaf are good for breakfast with a cup of coffee or as a snack anytime of the day.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon,
- baking soda and salt;. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and oil. Stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be very
- thick). Fold in apples, cranberries and walnuts.
- Transfer to an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutrition Facts: One slice equals 140 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium,