Apple Cider Salad
I especially like to present this salad at holiday potlucks. By adding food coloring to the bottom layer, I can easily create a fun, festive look.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups apple cider or juice, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Red or green food coloring, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup apple cider to a boil. Remove from
- the heat; stir in cherry gelatin until dissolved. Stir in remaining
- cider. Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in apples. Pour
- into an oiled 6-cup mold; chill until set.
- Meanwhile, soften unflavored gelatin in cold water. In a saucepan,
- whisk applesauce and cream cheese until smooth. Add milk and
- unflavored gelatin; cook and stir over low heat for 4 minutes or
- until gelatin completely dissolves. Add food coloring if desired.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Pour over first layer. Chill
- until set. Unmold onto a serving platter. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 148 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium,