Apple Cabbage Slaw
Chopped apple adds fruity sweetness, color and crunch to the tangy cabbage in this flavorful slaw. It's a refreshing side dish anytime of the year. Mom stored apples and cabbage in the root cellar, so she fixed this dish frequently to feed our big family.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 medium red apples, chopped
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage and apples. In a small bowl,
- combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture and
- toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with fat-free evaporated milk and sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar and without salt) equals 53 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.