Apple Butter Mix
“I've gotten so many requests for my recipe that I started making homemade mixes and giving them away as gifts.” Anyone will be happy to receive this delightful spread from Jessica Willhite of Cusseta, Georgia.
80 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Store in an
- airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 4 months. Yield: 4
- batches (about 1 cup total).
- To prepare apple butter: In a large saucepan, bring apples and apple
- juice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or
- until apples are tender. Drain; mash with a potato masher. Stir in
- 1/4 cup mix until sugar is dissolved. Cover and refrigerate for up
- to 5 days. Yield: about 1-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 tablespoon equals 38 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.