- nutmeg. Combine evaporated milk and lemon juice; let stand 1 minute.
- Stir in apple butter. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture
- alternately with apple butter mixture, beating well after each
- addition. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll to 1/4-in.
- thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain
- on paper towels.
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until golden
- brown, about 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl; beat in the
- confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla. Frost doughnuts. Yield:
- 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 doughnut equals 223 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.