Apple Bread Stuffing
Versatile, simple and filled with savory fall flavors, this delicious side dish pairs well with chicken, beef and a variety of entrees. Juicy apples and plump raisins keep it moist and mouthwatering!
Doris Heath - Franklin, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened apple juice
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion in
- butter until tender. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs,
- apple, raisins, salt, sugar, sage and onion mixture. Drizzle with
- apple juice; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer
- or until apple is tender and top is lightly browned. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 158 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.