Apple 'n' Pork Burgers
This pork burger recipe is a favorite of ours. We had a similar burger in Hawaii and once home, I experimented and came up with this tasty version that we actually prefer to the original. I like to serve them with a salad or fresh corn on the cob. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup drained unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves, tomato slices, sliced ripe California Avocado, mustard and mayonnaise, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble pork over
- mixture; mix well. Shape into two patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or
- until a thermometer reads 160°. Top with cheese. Grill 1-2
- minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, avocado, mustard and mayonnaise
- if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 burger (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 529 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 699 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein.