Apple & Pecan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
We first made this side dish for a beef cook-off my sister-in-law entered—our beef didn’t win, but we won best sides! —Jennifer Kuehn, Avon, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Scrub and pierce potatoes with a fork. Place on a foil-lined 15-in. x
- 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 45-60 minutes or
- until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, cut off a thin slice from the top of each
- potato; discard. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. thick shells;
- transfer to a large bowl. Mash pulp with butter, adding brown sugar
- and orange peel. Fold in apple and pecans.
- Spoon into potato shells. Return to baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes
- longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.