Anise Almond Loaf
"I own two bread machines and love to come up with different recipes to try in them," writes Diane Widner of Blue Island, Illinois. "This golden loaf, with its tasty combination of anise and almond flavors, is especially nice to serve during the holidays."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- In bread machine pan, place first eight ingredients in order
- suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose light
- crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5
- minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if
- needed). Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly
- signal this), add almonds. Yield: 1 loaf (about 1-1/2 pounds).
Editor' Note: The use of the timer feature is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 142 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.