Ample Brown Betty
Evelyn Kennell of Roanoke, Illinois sends the recipe for Ample Brown Betty. It's great for using leftover bread.
50-60 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 loaves (20 ounces each) white bread with crusts, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 32 cups)
- 2 cups butter, melted
- 40 cups (about 12 pounds) sliced peeled apples
- 3 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Toss bread cubes with butter; divide half of the cubes among four
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Arrange apples over bread, using
- 10 cups per pan. Mix 2 cups of brown sugar, sugar, nutmeg and
- cinnamon; divide into fourths and sprinkle over the apples. Mix
- water and lemon juice; pour a fourth into each pan. Top with
- remaining bread cubes. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar equally over
- pans. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake
- 25-30 minutes longer. Yield: 50-60 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 198 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.