Almost Stuffed Peppers
For a quick way to enjoy an old favorite, stir up Jan Roat's stuffed green pepper makings in a skillet. "This easy one-pan meal is requested so often I even make it when I'm not in a hurry," notes the active Red Lodge, Montana cook.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Remove; set aside and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, combine the water, tomatoes, green pepper, onion
- and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- until vegetables are tender. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the
- heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in beef; return to the heat and
- cook until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 240 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.