I love this recipe because it makes me look like an expert candy maker...it's so easy! This candy graces our table from Thanksgiving through the New Year.
Janice Sage, Garretson, South Dakota
75 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- Line the bottom and sides of a 15-in. x 10 in. x 1-in. pan with foil.
- Grease foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt remaining butter. Add the sugar,
- water and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy
- thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Pour into prepared pan. Cool for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate
- chips; let stand for 3 minutes. Spread melted chocolate evenly over
- candy. Sprinkle with almonds; press down lightly. Cool until
- chocolate is firm. Break into bite-size pieces. Store in airtight
- containers. Yield: about 1 pound.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 98 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.