- Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease
- the paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add
- sugar, beating until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat
- in vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder; beat into egg mixture. In a small
- saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter is melted; beat into
- batter. Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until cake springs back when
- lightly touched. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in Amaretto;
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add
- confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth. In a small
- bowl, combine raspberry filling and lemon juice; set aside.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; brush with 3 tablespoons syrup. Top with 1/3 cup
- almond filling and 1/3 cup raspberry mixture; repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining cake layer; brush with remaining syrup. Frost top
- and sides of cake with frosting. Press sliced almonds onto sides of
- cake. Garnish with raspberries. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 874 calories, 27 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 147 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.