Almond Meringue Cookies
It's a good thing these melt-in-your-mouth cookies are only 15 calories each-they're addicting!
Lois Sharp, Cudahy, Wisconsin
78 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min./batch + cooling
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and extract on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Combine confectioner's sugar and
- sugar. Gradually add to egg white mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time,
- beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is
- dissolved. Gently fold in ground almonds.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a
- #8 star tip. Fill bag with egg white mixture. Pipe
- 1-1/4-in.-diameter cookies onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets;
- sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Bake at 275° for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool
- completely on pans on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
- Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 15 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium,