Beverly Preston of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin started making Almond Cookies after enjoying similar ones at her favorite Chinese restaurant. “These crisp cookies have a wonderful almond flavor,” she says.
36 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, cream the shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour,
- baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with the bottom of a glass. Press
- three almond slices into the center of each.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 100 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.