Acorn Spiced Squash
When fall comes to Horsham, Pennsylvania, George Mankin likes to prepare this wonderful, cinnamon-and-maple flavored squash recipe. It’s so quick and easy in the microwave and also, a good source of vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and mace
- Pierce squash several times with a fork. Place on paper towels;
- microwave on high for 10 minutes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, syrup and vinegar. Combine the
- ginger, cinnamon and mace. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Brush
- cut sides with butter mixture; sprinkle with spice mixture.
- Place on a large microwave-safe plate; cover with paper towels. Cook
- on high for 5-10 minutes or until squash is tender. Yield: 2
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 squash equals 155 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.