"THIS RECIPE was Mom's scrumptious scheme to get her kids to eat vegetables. She never had any trouble when she served this colorful crunchy salad. Mom thought this salad was a real bonus for the cook since it must be made the night before."
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 cups torn salad greens
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place salad greens in a 3-qt. bowl or 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Top with
- layers of celery, green peppers, onion and peas; do not toss.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and sugar; spread over
- vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Cover and refrigerate
- overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 320 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 826 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.